all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Breakfast w/ Potatoes, Mushrooms and Onions…



I love breakfast ~ early morning ~ the aroma of that first cup of coffee...  It’s my favorite meal of the day, that I would gladly eat, any meal of the day!




It’s about crispy bacon, fried eggs over-easy, home fries, whole-wheat toast with cherry preserves, and a cup of strong steaming black coffee. But then, I’ve been known to eat a slice of apple pie for breakfast also…

This morning, I had fresh mushrooms and leftover baked potatoes on hand --- diced the potatoes with the skin on, tossed them into the skillet, added a chopped onion, and fried it all to a crispy-deep-golden-brown.  I used to fry them in bacon grease, but those days are gone, using as little oil as possible now.
                                                                                                                                               



It’s a delicious savory side dish for breakfast ~ it’s heaven to me!                           




I always have to have breakfast before I can leave the house…

How about you, are you a breakfast lover? 




Home fries with Mushrooms and Onions

Ingredients:

1 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 baked potatoes, diced with skin on
1 onion, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Oil

Method:

In a large skillet, over high heat, pour enough oil to coat bottom of pan.
When a slight amount of smoke appears, add mushrooms to skillet.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cook and stir until they develop a dark golden sear.
Remove from pan, set aside.
Add enough oil again, to coat bottom of skillet.
When hot, add potatoes, reduce heat to medium-high.
Fry potatoes until crispy and they start to stick together.
Add onions.
Season with salt and pepper, and combine.
Reduce heat and simmer until onions are soft and golden.
Add mushrooms to the mixture, heat through.
Serves 4-5

 

Simply perfect!





Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Breakfast is my favorite meal too! And, I love everything on your plate. Left-over pizza is good too.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast is the meal of the day...a good breakfast makes for a day full of energy.
    Looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a Bistro breakfast..Went to a French one in Mtl..last Sat.. Samll cubed fries..(in duck fat).. with the most decandent cheese sauce on top..Honestly?
    A treat! Had a zip to it too..served in ramekins:)
    Not my usual fare of course:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny. We had almost the very same breakfast last Sunday. It's our day to indulge. Hope you will make it to Larry's blogger party this year! Would love to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect, Pam! Yes! Always breakfast here! Our three daughters never left the house for school without breakfast, either, even the one who was not much for many routine breakfast foods. We always came up with something for her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, We both love a great breakfast! My better half would really love those fried potatoes...me, not so much as I just don't care for mushrooms. The weather update you sent me from Chicagoland was depressing to say the least! Amazing amounts of snow in your area this year...plus depressing temperatures too! Spring is coming...believe it or not! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Que cosa tan rica para un buen desayuno

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that sounds good. Just wish we could get decent bacon here in France! Have a good day Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. look delicious!! Love this breaksfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh,golly!!! looks so very mouth-watering,curl my toes delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my kind of breakfast and I never, never leave home without eating breakfast. It's starts my day off right and keeps me from being hungry around eleven. My husband loves to use left-overs like you have for breakfast. Great post.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam,
    We always have breakfast everyday. This is the type of breakfast we have for our weekend breakfasts.

    During the week I have oatmeal, and Scott has cereal or an English muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hands down, breakfast is my favorite and I can't wait until the weekends arrive to make a plate similar to yours. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks pretty tasty. We enjoy breakfast here. It is easier to make
    for dinner since mornings are a blurr.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a big breakfast like that but only seem to have it when we're on vacation. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam